Sunday, November 29, 2009

"...for those of us who knew her, she will be remembered as a hell of a girl"




Still on my "vintage" 80's kick....... I have watched Wim Wenders 1987 movie "Wings of Desire" a few times, the most recent being a couple nights ago. If you have never seen this movie I highly recommend it; my boyfriend introduced me to it and it gets me every time. Definitely not action packed, most of the dialogue was written by avant-garde Autrian novelist Peter Handke. Absolutely gorgeous. There's also a bonus appearance by the one and only Nick Cave if you're into that - which I totally, completely am.
The German-French actress Solveig Dommartin is astounding in her role, and I've always admired her but tonight I decided to look up a bit of info on her. I was sad to discover that she passed away in 2007.




She has this very approachable and delicate beauty. In this movie she stars as a circus trapeze artist and I just learned that for this role, she learned the art of the trapeze in just 8 WEEKS and did all her own stunts. Our household just declared her our own personal hero. Can you imagine??
I only featured images of her from Wings of Desire - however she was in several movies (note to self to go rent them!). I found this article online that struck me at once with the first line.....

"She was the beautiful trapeze artist who enticed an angel down from heaven in Wings of Desire, but for those of us who knew her, she will be remembered as a hell of a girl."

5 comments:

  1. She looks very pretty is these pictures. I will have to check that movie out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I'll have to check this out! I haven't seen too many 80s films but I want to! Thank you so much for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick Cave you say?? Love. Him. I must pick up this film. Thanks so much for putting it out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a lovely blog. I am so glad I stumbled upon it! :)

    xoxo
    Amy
    thebargainhunterextraordinaire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wings of desire - had not thought of that film in years - yes I think she must be a hero - what a skill. I heard that audrey hepburn took singing lessons for ages and ages and practiced ceaselessly for her part in breakfast at tiffany's and then they dubbed her song anyway and she was really upset. There you go - I guess sometimes you have it and sometimes you don't...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails